St. Mary of the Lake Altar Paintings
St. Mary of the Lake Church - Altar Paintings
4200 N. Sheridan Road
Activate congregation; altar painting still visible.
St Mary of the Lake Parish was established in 1901 on the north side of Chicago. The first mass was celebrated in a new church in February of 1902. In 1913, plans were made to build a new church, designed by the noted church architect Henry J. Schlacks. The church was built in the Italian Renaissance style and was completed and dedicated in May of 1917. The interiors were completed in time for the 28th International Eucharistic Congress, which was held in Chicago in 1926. Paintings on the ceiling were done by Thomas of Christ the King and Queenship of Mary.
In 1936, John Mallin painted two altar paintings for the church, which were placed on each side of the altar. Mallin also did the mosaic decorations behind the altar paintings. The altar paintings remain, although the mosaic decorations have been painted over.
St. Mary of the Lake Church. http://www.smolchicago.com/about.html