Holy Rosary Slovak Church

Project Name
Holy Rosary Slovak Church

108th and Perry Ave
Chicago, Illinois

Project Status
Church razed about 1955

Project Date/s
Probably 1934-1935

Holy Rosary Slovak church was founded in 1907 for Slovak families living in the south side of Chicago in the Calumet, Grand Crossing, and Blue Island Catholic districts. The Rev. Anton J. Novacek was the first pastor. In 1909, The second pastor, the Rev. John Novotny, also organized the St John the Baptist Slovak Church in the South Chicago steel mill district, which was also decorated by John Mallin. In October of 1910, a frame structure church for Holy Rosary was dedicated.

In 1933, the Rev. Andrew T. Valcicak was named pastor of the church. The Silver Jubilee of the church was celebrated on Oct 20, 1935. Mallin was hired by Rev. Valcicak to decorate the church. It is likely that he was hired to decorate the church in time for the Silver Jubilee.

The only known photo of the church interior was provided by Debbi Snyder Pellegrini. Her aunt and uncle, Eleanor and Ed Klausner, were married in the church on October 28, 1948, and their wedding photo includes a view of the interiors.

In 1955, a new church was built and the old church was razed. The new church was dedicated in 1958. The Rev. Valcicak served as pastor of the church for 40 years. In 1972 Holy Rosary school consolidated with All Saints school. Holy Rosary church closed and is now home to the Kingdom of Christ Church.


A History of the Parishes of the Archdiocese of Chicago Volume 1. Msgr. Harry C. Koenig, S.T.D., editor. The Archdiocese of Chicago, Chicago, 1980.